Batik Tied Quilt
This lap-sized diagonal batik quilt was made specifically to enter into a class for tied quilts at the fall fair. I like the bold graphic lines of the quilt. I tied the quilt in the center of each square with matching embroidery floss. So yellow floss on the yellow squares, blue on the blue, etc, so that it is not immediately apparent it is a tied quilt. My quilting friend Judy told me the top was too nice to tie, but I explained I have a longer term plan.
This large lap sized quilt is backed with fleece, so it would make a cozy little TV watching quilt. However, I actually do not like tied quilts, so I am on to part two of my plan. Because the quilt has now finished the fair season, I intend to cut all of the ties and remove the binding. I will add more blocks and a border to the quilt top to make it queen size. I have lots more fabric, so I have design flexibility. Then I will quilt it on the longarm. I know the result will be a quilt that pleases me more than a tied quilt.
Many years ago, I purchased this pre-printed pot holder fabric in a thrift shop. I always intended to do something with it. Finally that day arrived. I quilted them with a double layer of cotton batting and then bound them with a red tone on tone binding. I hand stitched the binding to the back on a plane when traveling to a Caribbean snorkeling holiday last week. A small compact project with a high ratio of hand stitching to surface area works best for me when traveling.
Someday, these will be a gift. I like having things on hand for impulsive gift-giving!
When I finished the Autumn Tumbler Quilt (2016-29), I had some cut blocks left over. That reminded me I still had a small bag of leftover tumbler blocks remaining from my Tumbler Strippy Quilt ( 2014-1). I pulled those blocks out of the cupboard and mingled the two batches of blocks to create the centers for four place mats, alternating pieced and plain blocks. With the addition of a coordinating rust border and mossy green binding, I ended up with four very nice place mats. They were quilted with an olive green thread with an ivy pattern by Ann Bright. Isn’t it amazing what you can do with the blocks that didn’t make it into the original quilts?
And best of all, no more blocks left over. Hooray!
This little table topper started with some leftover batik strip blocks in my orphan block boot box. Occasionally, I go through the box to see what I can make from the leftovers. These strip blocks spoke to me. I decided to team them up with a tropical batik print and make a little table topper. The deep fuschia inner border and binding unify the prints to make a fun little topper.
It was custom quilted with a large tropical leaf design done in a teal green thread.
This will make a good hostess gift. It feels good to have gifts ready at hand.
This little panel quilt was machine quilted with Dave Hudson’s “Tools” edge to edge design. I used a royal blue thread that blended well with the front of the panel and contrasted well with the light blue solid backing I used. The quilt was donated to my little fall fair in cottage country for the hand made items silent auction table where it raised money for the operation of the fair. It is not often I get to meet the person who is the recipient of a donation quilt, but the grandfather who bought this quilt gave it immediately to his son and grandson who were standing close by at the end of the auction. I asked permission to take their photo for my blog. I’m happy it goes to a good home.
These four runners started from a 1.5 yard piece of Border print fabric given to me by a friend. I had wanted to make a triangle type runner so it seemed the perfect opportunity. This design takes very careful cutting to get the design in precisely the right spot. I was conscious of minimizing waste fabric, so made one of the runners with the opposite orientation to take advantage of the triangle cuts. These runners look quite simple, but they are actually much more difficult than they look. It is quite fussy to get the designs to flow perfectly.
The runners are quilted with a digital design called “Christmas Paisley” by Ann Bright in a neutral thread that gives texture without competing with the design. The binding is a red and green Christmas flower print that perfectly pulls out the colours in the border print. All of the binding is hand stitched.
These will be handy to have ready for hostess gifts at Christmas time.
This simple table topper was made out of leftover blocks. The coordinating floral for the sashing and backing came from my stash. I used this topper to test how Madiera metallic thread works with my machine. I was quite happy with how it turned out.
The digital quilting design is called On Angel Wings by Donna Kleinke of One Song Needle Arts. It has one block pattern in the centre and a coordinating border design on the outside. The gold thread adds a distinct elegance to the topper, raising a rather ordinary piece to something quite eye-catching.
Sometimes it is very satisfying to play with new threads!