This partially quilted panel was in my stash of unfinished projects. Once I set my mind to the task, it did not take too long to finish up the hand quilting and add the red binding. Hand quilting can seem tedious, but once you get started, it can be very relaxing. One more project completed!
This little panel quilt was machine quilted with Dave Hudson’s “Tools” edge to edge design. I used a royal blue thread that blended well with the front of the panel and contrasted well with the light blue solid backing I used. The quilt was donated to my little fall fair in cottage country for the hand made items silent auction table where it raised money for the operation of the fair. It is not often I get to meet the person who is the recipient of a donation quilt, but the grandfather who bought this quilt gave it immediately to his son and grandson who were standing close by at the end of the auction. I asked permission to take their photo for my blog. I’m happy it goes to a good home.
These four runners started from a 1.5 yard piece of Border print fabric given to me by a friend. I had wanted to make a triangle type runner so it seemed the perfect opportunity. This design takes very careful cutting to get the design in precisely the right spot. I was conscious of minimizing waste fabric, so made one of the runners with the opposite orientation to take advantage of the triangle cuts. These runners look quite simple, but they are actually much more difficult than they look. It is quite fussy to get the designs to flow perfectly.
The runners are quilted with a digital design called “Christmas Paisley” by Ann Bright in a neutral thread that gives texture without competing with the design. The binding is a red and green Christmas flower print that perfectly pulls out the colours in the border print. All of the binding is hand stitched.
These will be handy to have ready for hostess gifts at Christmas time.
I ran into a phenomenal deal on the fabric for this quilt, so I bought the remainder of the bolt. Number twelve is the last of the lot. I am glad they are all done! It feels like I have worked on this quilt forever! The good news is that I have many baby quilts finished and ready to give away whenever the need arises.
They were quilted with a digital design called Bubblelicious by Lisa Calle that goes well with the printed panel design. They were hand bound with a coordinating fabric.
This little panel (and two others) was quilted last fall, binding was attached and then it lived in my hand stitching basket for a few months. I have been gradually whittling down the pile of “Binding to be Done”. Now all three quilts have been finished and all three have been gifted. One went to a fund raiser for a school in Royal Oak, Michigan and two others went to two newly born baby boys.
This baby quilt panel was in my cupboard for several years. I had intended to do outline quilting, but decided that an allover quilting pattern would be more likely to get done.
I quilted it with Lisa Calle’s Bubblelicious edge to edge design. I used a new thread, a shiny trilobal polyester that worked out well, once I found the right tension balance. For the binding, I used Sharon Schamber’s method of gluing the binding before sewing. The binding went on fairly well, but I think I will try this method on a few more small quilts to improve my skill before I use it on something important. Practice makes perfect, or at least a lot better!
This finished quilt will be a donation to a school fundraising auction.
I have another five of these panels which I have quilted over the past couple of days. I will continue to add binding to these quilts as time allows. Pretty soon I will have a little stack of baby quilts ready for gifts to little baby girls.
Borders were added to this pre-printed tractor panel and then the pillow top was quilted densely on my longarm. I’m not a tractor aficionado, but I do live in an agricultural area and am married to the son of a farmer. I made this pillow simply so that I would have an entry for the pillow category for the local fall fair.
The pillow backing is fabric that resembles a field of straw, quilted with a scratchy stitch to emulate a field of straw. This pillow won a first place ribbon at the fall fair. I overheard several people exclaiming delightedly over the pillow, but wistfully saying too bad the tractor wasn’t green. Apparently this is John Deere country where farmers are passionate about their tractor brand!