Many years ago, I purchased this pre-printed pot holder fabric in a thrift shop. I always intended to do something with it. Finally that day arrived. I quilted them with a double layer of cotton batting and then bound them with a red tone on tone binding. I hand stitched the binding to the back on a plane when traveling to a Caribbean snorkeling holiday last week. A small compact project with a high ratio of hand stitching to surface area works best for me when traveling.
Someday, these will be a gift. I like having things on hand for impulsive gift-giving!
Sometimes you just need to do a quick and easy project. The fall fair had a category for a set of Quilt As You Go Potholders. I had a pile of red scraps, so these potholders came together very quickly. They have a double layer of batting to make them thick and protective. These will likely be a stocking stuffer for one of my children.
These pot holders stated when I noticed a category in the fall fair list for two hot mats. I dug though my orphan block box and found the red stripped fabric. Then I looked in my scrap bin and found a small piece of the rose fabric. I fussy cut the roses and cut the strips into sections that could be partial pieced around the roses. At about 8 inches square, they make a nice sized hot mat. I doubled the thickness of the batting to give extra protection to a table, then quilted them in a nice crosshatch flower design. If I were to make them over, I would quilt them less densely as they tend to get stiff with the double batting and the dense quilting. However they will work well as hot mats. We tend to use a lot of hot mats and it is nice to have fresh ones every once in a while.
Trying to use up a pile of leftover Black and White scraps, I made these two potholders using the Quilt As You Go technique. They were quick, simple and make for a great pot holder.
These potholders were a simple project made from leftover triangles from another project. Rather than waste them, I pieced them into these potholders and quilted them with a feathered wreath design and bound them with a green Hoffman print. They have a Christmas feel to them and will make a nice hostess gift at holiday time.
This pair of pot holders was made using scraps from my Autumn Prairie Braid quilt. This is a quick and easy project that uses up both batting and fabric scraps. The colors go perfectly with my cottage kitchen. Replacing my pot holders regularly is a goal I aspire to, but ironically seem to make myself new pot holders only infrequently. These two were quilted on the domestic machine with a walking foot and bound by machine. It was so easy and so fast that I cannot imagine why I don’t make new ones more often!