This little wall applique hanging was made using the stain glass technique. It sat in my UFO pile for quite a while until I decided to quilt it up for a fall fair category for applique wall hangings. I quilted it using my domestic machine with walking foot. I matched the threads on top and used Superior MonoPoly in the bobbin. I entered it in a few fall fairs and it won a several ribbons. I still feel I should add a bit more quilting to the Iris leaves, but so far, have not felt the inspiration to do so. Maybe someday.
This hosta themed wall hanging is from a pattern designed by Elaine Quehl. My quilting friend Sue went to a workshop with Elaine and then decided she would never complete the wall hanging. So she brought me the cutout pieces of the hosta. I selected a batik base from my stash and assembled and applied the hosta leaves to the background.
Using children’s school glue, I fused the top to the batting and backing making a fairly stiff sandwich that was easy to quilt. It was quilted on my domestic machine in an echo pattern that followed the contours of the leaves. I’m happy with how it turned out!
This queen sized quilt was inspired by some vintage Dresden Fan blades I found in my UFO cupboard. I wanted to make them modern, so this is the result.
The pale peach background fabric is a wide fabric that I bought in the night market in Cairo, Egypt. I have great memories of that shopping trip when a friend and her doctor-fiance negotiated for me in Arabic. He advised me to stay silent because as a man, he could get a much better price from the male vendors. He did get an awesome bargain for me!
The Dresden Fans are appliqued onto the background in a non-traditional asymmetrical arrangement that gives the quilt a fresh, modern appeal. The broken inner border is also a modern element. The quilting design is an edge to edge digital pattern called Dresden Fan by Kim Diamond of Sweet Dreams Quilt Studio. It is stitched in a peach thread that matches the background and backing. The same fabric French fold binding is applied to the front and hand stitched to the back.
Modern Dresden won first place in its category, Grand Champion Machine Quilting and Judges Choice at the Caledon Fair as well as Grand Champion Machine Quilting at the Fergus Fair. I love pretty ribbons!
This is the second rescue quilt I was gifted. It also needed some repair, although much less than the Blue Sampler (2016-2). The applique stitches were far apart so I did quite a bit of restitching before quilting. The hand quilting stitches were long toe catchers, so I opted to quilt it over with a fairly dense but complimentary machine stitching design. The new binding is applied to the back and then top-stitched by machine. It will never be competition quality, but it will make a great donation quilt. Someone will love it, I am sure!
This Blue Blossom Applique quilt is the same pattern as the Peach Posie quilt. It is one made by my mother as a future wedding quilt for a grandchild. These blocks are likely leftover blocks from an earlier set of quilts she made for her children. I paired it with a pale blue and white striped backing and then quilted it with white thread using the CircleLord Clamshell template. It worked up quickly and I am pleased with the finished project.
Finished size is 48″ by 58″. Mom will add the binding of her choice. This is the third of four quilts that I aim to have completed by the time of my visit to her in mid November.
This project is one away from the midpoint of my progress toward my goal of 52 completed quilt projects in 2011. Having a goal is very motivating. I really want to get more done!
This flower applique quilt top was made by my mother as a wedding gifts to one of her eleven grandchildren – if any of them ever get married (LOL!).
The pattern for the top came from a lady named Mary Burk, wife of Harold Burk, the inventor of the Red Haven peach. I can remember when I was in high school (a long time ago!) going with my mother to visit Mrs. Burk and having the treat of a quilt show. My mom was struck by this design, favoring it because the size of the applique flowers made it a very portable project, one that she could do in her moments of waiting for her kids. In the late 1960’s and early 1970’s, my mother made a double bed size quilt like this for each of her six children. I think the blocks in this quilt are left-overs from those projects.
I selected a pre-washed muslin backing to coordinate with the muslin background fabric behind the applique flowers. The batting is poly with a bit of loft, which allows you to see the quilting pattern. I like the look! I machine quilted it using the Circle Lord Clamshell template with an ecru cotton thread which blended well with both the peach and the muslin and was well hidden on the muslin backing.
It now goes back to my mother who will add the binding. I am happy to do the quilting for her, but am VERY glad I do not have to do the binding too!
This takes one more project off my UFO list and it is one less flimsie in my cupboard! Hooray!