These pot holders stated when I noticed a category in the fall fair list for two hot mats. I dug though my orphan block box and found the red stripped fabric. Then I looked in my scrap bin and found a small piece of the rose fabric. I fussy cut the roses and cut the strips into sections that could be partial pieced around the roses. At about 8 inches square, they make a nice sized hot mat. I doubled the thickness of the batting to give extra protection to a table, then quilted them in a nice crosshatch flower design. If I were to make them over, I would quilt them less densely as they tend to get stiff with the double batting and the dense quilting. However they will work well as hot mats. We tend to use a lot of hot mats and it is nice to have fresh ones every once in a while.
When I finished the Autumn Tumbler Quilt (2016-29), I had some cut blocks left over. That reminded me I still had a small bag of leftover tumbler blocks remaining from my Tumbler Strippy Quilt ( 2014-1). I pulled those blocks out of the cupboard and mingled the two batches of blocks to create the centers for four place mats, alternating pieced and plain blocks. With the addition of a coordinating rust border and mossy green binding, I ended up with four very nice place mats. They were quilted with an olive green thread with an ivy pattern by Ann Bright. Isn’t it amazing what you can do with the blocks that didn’t make it into the original quilts?
And best of all, no more blocks left over. Hooray!
This queen size quilt began when I decided to use up scraps left over from the Winding Ways quilt (2016-17). I dislike having leftovers as they clog my creativity, so I try to use them up right away. Using my Accuquilt die, I cut as many tumblers as I could out of the scrap pieces. Then I went through my scrap bin and found more autumn colored fabrics and cut more tumblers. I don;t think I used any yardage at all, just scraps. It is amazing how many scraps one collects over the years!
I strove for a balance of light and dark so I could create contrast between the tumbler shaped pieces. The pieces were assembled in units of two, then four, then eight and then then into the rows for the quilt. Fortunately, I have a large table where I can layout the rows to check color balance and separation. Once he center was done, I added a gold colored inner border and an red and gold print outer border. It was quilted with a leafy design that adds texture and an autumn theme.
This quilt won Grand Champion, Machine Quilting at the 2016 Drayton Fair and Grand Champion, Machine Quilting at the 2016 Arthur Fall Fair. It went on to OAAS District 7 competition where it won first place. It will now go on to the Ontario provincial level competition in February 2017.
This quilt has been selected by my nephew Charley and his lovely wife Alice as their wedding quilt. They are patiently waiting until after the provincial competition before they can take it to their new home.
This little table topper started with some leftover batik strip blocks in my orphan block boot box. Occasionally, I go through the box to see what I can make from the leftovers. These strip blocks spoke to me. I decided to team them up with a tropical batik print and make a little table topper. The deep fuschia inner border and binding unify the prints to make a fun little topper.
It was custom quilted with a large tropical leaf design done in a teal green thread.
This will make a good hostess gift. It feels good to have gifts ready at hand.
This quilt was inspired by the border fabric. I bought this fabric at the member boutique at the Quilt Show of the Greater Ann Arbor Quilt Guild in Ann Arbor, Michigan. What a great sale! I spent lots of money there and was particularly pleased with this border fabric. (Their show was exceptionally good too!)
The size of the quilt was determined by the amount of border fabric I had. First I calculated how big I could make the quilt considering the corners had to be mitered to keep the flow of the design. Once I knew the outside dimensions, then I built the inside of the quilt to fit. I used some six inch nine patch blocks that came from a Guild exchange of blocks and made a few extra to expand the center. After playing with several layout options, I selected a lovely rusty-orange fabric for the setting triangles. It is quilted with Superior Omni thread in Ginger Spice using a digital design called Damask by Ann Bright. I’m pleased with the result.
I have put it with the group of quilts from which I invite brides and grooms to select their wedding quilts. However, I hope no one picks this one because I like it. I could live quite happily with this quilt.
This little panel quilt was machine quilted with Dave Hudson’s “Tools” edge to edge design. I used a royal blue thread that blended well with the front of the panel and contrasted well with the light blue solid backing I used. The quilt was donated to my little fall fair in cottage country for the hand made items silent auction table where it raised money for the operation of the fair. It is not often I get to meet the person who is the recipient of a donation quilt, but the grandfather who bought this quilt gave it immediately to his son and grandson who were standing close by at the end of the auction. I asked permission to take their photo for my blog. I’m happy it goes to a good home.
This happy little table runner was made from some border fabric using a triangle pattern. It was quilted with a yellow thread and bound with a coordinating purple fabric. It was a quick and easy project and will be donated to the hand made items fundraising table of the little country fair near our cottage. The big attraction at the fair is a Frog Jump, so it seems fitting!