This Christmas stocking sat in my UFO pile for a few years before I finally pushed myself to complete it. The stumbling block was how to finish the top edge. I kept imagining a cuff on the stocking. I hired a friend to embroider a cuff for the top, but once completed, realized I would have to quilt the cuff to achieve the same density of the quilted stocking. I thought that quilting the cuff would detract from the embroidery, so waffled over that idea for a couple of years. Because I needed another entry for a fall fair, I decided to quickly finish it up. I was pressed for time so I elected to simply add a coordinating binding to the top, reasoning I could add a cuff later.
To my surprise. the stocking won first prize ribbons at several fall fairs, so I decided it really did not need a cuff. So it stays as finished and my daughter Sarah is happy with her Christmas stocking.
This stocking was made with little strips from my scrap bin. i store my scraps by colour, so it makes it easy to pull a bunch of coordinating fabrics. Once the fabric had been strip pieced into a shape that would accommodate a stocking, I densely quilted the fabric with a Christmas tree bulb design in a gold thread. After a couple of years of marinating in my UFO pile, I cut out the stocking to the desired shape and assembled it. I added a simple binding around the top and now consider it done.
The lesson learned here is to avoid overthinking a project, that simple sometimes is better. Entering a fall fair can be a great incentive to get things done!
Now I plan to make a coordinating green stocking for her husband. They have been married for two years now, so it has become a much higher priority!