Monthly Archives: January 2016

2016-3 Applique Roses

dscn1562

This is the second rescue quilt I was gifted.  It also needed some repair, although much less than the Blue Sampler (2016-2).  The applique stitches were far apart so I did quite a bit of restitching before quilting.  The hand quilting stitches were long toe catchers, so I opted to quilt it over with a fairly dense but complimentary machine stitching design.  The new binding is applied to the back and then top-stitched by machine.   It will never be competition quality, but it will make a great donation quilt.  Someone will love it, I am sure!

Save

Save

Save

Advertisements

2016-2 Blue Sampler

dscn1552

This quilt could tell a story! When a local woman was cleaning out her house to move, she offered me a box of fabric.  Of course I cannot refuse fabric!  When I went to pick it up, I explained that I would use the fabric for quilting,  Once she heard I was a quilter, she insisted on giving me two of her mother’s quilts.  They had been well used and she did not want to throw them out, but absolutely could not take them with her on the long move across the country.

dscn8757

The quilt needed repair, so I started with each block, hand stitching broken seams and reattaching some of the applique designs. You can notice the degree of fading exposed by the loose appliques.

dscn8754

One block, I completely replaced.  I found a complementary fabric in my stash and made a new block.  Can you tell which block is new? After the top was repaired, I then mounted it on the longarm and quilted it densely.  The blocks are a feather design called Golden Topaz by Donna Klienke of One Song Needle Arts.  The sashing is a formal feather design I created and the border is a feathered rose pattern.   The machine stitching will hold it together and give the quilt a new and longer life.  This quilt will be a donation quilt, most likely to one of the Syrian refugee families we are expecting to arrive in our community soon.

 

 

Save

Save

Save

2016-1 Colourwash Table Runner

colourwash-table-runner

This runner started from a group of leftover strip sets I found in my scrap bin.  I played around with them to create a pleasing layout of colour and then assembled.  I pulled two coordinating fabrics from my stash to add as inner and outer border.  It was custom quilted in a feather design with a muted rose thread.  I entered it in a few fall fairs this year and it won first prize most of the time.  A very pleasing result from a bunch of scraps!

Save

Save