2014-24 Pillow Panel Pinwheels

pillow-panels

This quilt began with some pillow panels that felt very outdated.  They had been in my stash for a long time!  I decided to cut them up and made the pinwheel blocks.  I then backed some coordinating fabric with fusible and cut out flowers with an Accuquilt die.  With help from Gillian, one of my young quilting students, we assembled the flowers with layers of cutouts.  I then used a fusible backing to stabilize the setting triangles before satin stitching the edges of all the flowers.  I used a shiny embroidery thread that gave definition to the flowers.  Because I wanted to enter it in the fair in a category of “made by one, quilted by another”, I persuaded my reluctant husband to quilt it for me.  The quilting is a dense digital design by Anne Bright.

Because it was quilted densely, there was a lot of draw-up, making it a bit too small for the required size for the quilt category.  That inspired me to put a wide binding on the quilt to make it just a bit bigger to fit the category.

We were pleased and surprised when it won first place, especially since there were about 20 entries in the class!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s