Monthly Archives: October 2014

2014-24 Pillow Panel Pinwheels

pillow-panels

This quilt began with some pillow panels that felt very outdated.  They had been in my stash for a long time!  I decided to cut them up and made the pinwheel blocks.  I then backed some coordinating fabric with fusible and cut out flowers with an Accuquilt die.  With help from Gillian, one of my young quilting students, we assembled the flowers with layers of cutouts.  I then used a fusible backing to stabilize the setting triangles before satin stitching the edges of all the flowers.  I used a shiny embroidery thread that gave definition to the flowers.  Because I wanted to enter it in the fair in a category of “made by one, quilted by another”, I persuaded my reluctant husband to quilt it for me.  The quilting is a dense digital design by Anne Bright.

Because it was quilted densely, there was a lot of draw-up, making it a bit too small for the required size for the quilt category.  That inspired me to put a wide binding on the quilt to make it just a bit bigger to fit the category.

We were pleased and surprised when it won first place, especially since there were about 20 entries in the class!

Advertisements