Monthly Archives: November 2013

2013-28: Modern Table Runner

Modern Table Runner This table runner was the result of an experiment in modern quilting designs.  I simply played with several designs to come up with an abstract asymmetrical design with a modern flair to it.  When stitched out on plain fabrics, it made a great table runner.

??????????

The batting is Legacy 80/20 and the thread is a mushroom coloured Glide, a trilobal polyester thread that has quite a bit of shine to it.  I used an abstract print in coordinating colours to bind the table runner.

The resulting table is quite different from what I would normally make.  It will not fit with my decor, but I have already had several offers from friends to give it a good home!

Advertisements

2013-27: Double Wedding Ring Table Runner

Double Wedding Ring Table Runner

A few blocks left over from the recent Double Wedding Ring Quilt have now become this Double Wedding Ring Table Runner.

I chose different quilting designs and thread for a bit of variety.  However from a distance, it looks pretty much the same.    On the rings, I used a dark red trilobal polyester thread for the continuous curves.  Then I switched to white Bottom Line to quilt the designs in the center and in the melon sections.

This will make a nice gift for someone someday.  I still have enough rings cut to make one more table runner.  I’ll make a point of cutting some extra center sections to get the second runner made – but not for a while!  Too many other priorities calling my name between now and Christmas!

2013-26: Pink Duckies

Pink Duckies

This baby quilt panel was in my cupboard for several years.  I had intended to do outline quilting, but decided that an allover quilting pattern would be more likely to get done.

DSCN3559

I quilted it with Lisa Calle’s Bubblelicious edge to edge design.  I used a new thread, a shiny trilobal polyester that worked out well, once I found the right tension balance.  For the binding, I used Sharon Schamber’s method of gluing the binding before sewing.  The binding went on fairly well, but I think I will try this method on a few more small quilts to improve my skill before I use it on something important.  Practice makes perfect, or at least a lot better!

This finished quilt will be a donation to a school fundraising auction.

I have another five of these panels which I have quilted over the past couple of days.  I will continue to add binding to these quilts as time allows.  Pretty soon I will have a little stack of baby quilts ready for gifts to little baby girls.