Karen, a former work colleague, moved to a new job in another city and cleaned out her sewing room. During the preparation for moving process, I would come into work each morning and find little gifts of fabric on my desk. Being the fabric-obsessed person that I am, I was always thrilled. One day, she brought me some completed nine patch blocks and a bag of 2.5 inch strips that had been destined to become more nine patch blocks. Karen said she would never finish it, so was officially letting go!
Fast forward five years to when I became inspired to work on it. I made the balance of the nine patches, using every available strip and then teamed them with a dusty pink shirting fabric to set them off. In my stash, I found a calico that picked up some of the colors of the blocks for the setting triangles.
The quilt sat for a few more years because I did not have immediate inspiration for the borders. Finally, I decided that done is better than perfect, so I pulled an old Jinny Beyer border print from my stash. I liked the center strip in the design, but there was too much navy in the side strips. So I cut the center strip out of the design and added two side strips of muted green to make it wider and tone down the intensity of the strip. I did not have enough of the fabric to do mitered corners, so I made four additional nine patch blocks using the border fabric, the muted green and the setting square fabric. They worked well as corner blocks. The backing is a country garden print which contained all of the colors of the top. It too was from my stash!
The quilting is a pattern called Anne’s Garden by Anne Bright. The thread is a dusty rose Superior So Fine with a rose colored Bottom Line in the bobbin. The binding is a navy with violet overtones. The straight grain binding was attached on the front and finished on the back with Superior MonoPoly.
Hooray! Another one done and off my conscience!