On the weekend, I spent time working on a Chinese Coins quilt in purples, blues and pinks. I enjoyed working on it and like the visual impact of it. When assembling the strips, I made a construction error that will require a fair bit of ripping of very tiny stitches. Sigh! So I did what any creative quilter would do. I set the project aside to rip another day and started using the left-overs to make a baby quilt. I made two baby quilt flimsies with the scraps of the big quilt. The rest of the weekend I spent putting borders on large quilt tops. So by the end of the weekend, although I had done quite a bit of work, I had nothing finished to show for my efforts. So Monday evening, I decided to get one of those baby flimsies quilted.
The coins were 6″ wide, which meant that anything shorter than the six inches would be wasted unless I found a way to use it. So these 2 inch bits were cut from the scrap strips. The strips were then joined by a 3.5 inch strip of white cotton. It was a very simple quilt with finished up quickly. The quilting is a simple wiggly vertical line which was fast to complete. The binding, made out of the backing left-overs is machine applied to the back and top-stitched on the front.
The finished quilt is 38″ by 50″ and will be a gift to a baby someday when I feel an impulse to give a baby quilt to someone. I like having baby quilts on hand so that I can indulge my whims of giving away baby quilts. I enjoy surprising people who least expect a quilt.
Goal Status: 42 projects complete, 10 more to go!